Quote

"Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero path. And where we we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; and where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."
- Joseph Campbell, "A Hero with a Thousand Faces"

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Parody and Dancing, though Unrelated

I thought it had been a metaphorical eon since my last post. Of course I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has been just over one month. Sort of.

Anyway, I was severely procrastinating writing a paper and ended up starting another song parody instead. I was hungry when inspiration hit, so naturally I wrote about food. It is to the tune of "Baby Got Back" (I had seen a day or so earlier another parody of lyrics to that song so the tune was already in my head) and I only got as far as most of the first verse. Here it is:

I eat cheap food and I cannot lie
you hungry people can't deny
when your payroll's low
and you got no dough
you will go to any fast food chain
no matter the name
whether it's "The King" or "Micky D's"
'cause I'm broke but I can't stop eating
as I order from my car's seating
I'm sorry, that I can't show you
a more expensive menu
I act like it doesn't phase me
when in reality it makes me so crazy!
You wanna eat nice?
Don't you know there ain't no dice?
So, feed me, feed me,
please, nothing that's too greasy
I feel 'em closin'
my arteries, exposin'
my self, health
just because I ain't got no wealth
I'm tired of drive thru lanes
and speakers that don't hear a thing


And that is all I have so far. Once I stopped procrastinating the inspiration for this parody flew away. Quite a few times I wish I could fly away. Even ballroom dancing is becoming something I would like to stop for a bit. Maybe not stop completely, but Kevin and I have been so intent on practicing, improving and going for "it's perfect or it's not." I first fell in love with this form of art through motion because it was a way of having fun and relieving stress. Now I want that feeling back. On the other hand, I want to keep improving. I think a mental break would be a good thing. Along that note, the ballroom club had a Halloween social last night. It was one of those gatherings where people dance with random other people, and it is all about fun, and if someone messes up you laugh about it. It was awesome. The other Kevin, who is an amazing dancer, helped me with some Rumba and Cha Cha and even took me around the floor in a Viennese Waltz.

Seen here is the awesomeness of Viennese Waltz.

Kevin says I should teach Kevin Viennese Waltz. I guess I caught on quickly enough because the basic steps are not difficult at all. But me, a newcomer, teach my newcomer partner? Plus, we won't be dancing Viennese in competition any time soon. Surely not at Ohio and we have plenty to work on for that competition. We are just starting to dance in contact, which I might add is a lot harder than these professionals make it look. We have our good moments (not great of course), and while improving every practice we are still largely playing bumper cars with our hips. In the meantime, I have not been taught correct frame for dancing in contact. We have a friend try to help us out with problems, but she does not want to teach me incorrectly because bad habits are hard to break. I should know. I don't try too much to invent the frame, but I take what she has told me and attempt to fuse that with what I have seen and if Kevin tells me it looks/feels better. Keeping the frame while in motion is a whole other monster. 

Just a few things I have to constantly think about while dancing:
  1. The steps obviously. This includes the rhythm as well. Are all the steps on downbeats? Are some on the and count or a sixteenth count?
  2. Where I am going next. Not in the way that the leader plans the actual next step and direction, but in the way that the follower must maintain the same direction and step size as the leader without absolutely knowing where they are going. And most of the time doing this backward. A great leader minimizes the possible confusion immensely.
  3. Frame. This includes shoulders down and back, arms in correct place, head turned right direction, not leaning back and stretching up through back, keeping toned but not tight, and remaining in contact.
  4. Maintaining correct leg action according to each dance. Is this a swing dance? On one level like the tango? Should legs be straight or bent? From where should the action generate?
  5. Be exact in quick turns and gradual with rising action. This ties in greatly with the next point of
  6. Keep center balance! Balance is constantly changing and while the legs move they should never move without bringing the center of balance with them. Moving this balance helps the dance flow and movement becomes more efficient.
  7. Be athletic about the movements. Going through the motions might be enough for someone casually dancing or just learning the steps, but in order to compete there must be a level of athleticism that allows for all the above points to actually be achieved.
And this list doesn't include the other aspects of dancing at a competition!

Happy Halloween, all. Tomorrow I will be watching our school's program called "Dancing with the Deans" that I expect should be a lot of fun. Dancing Kevin has been partnered with two guys for two different dances. It goes without saying (saying it anyway), I am interested to see what kinds of choreography they put together.

'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment