Quote

"Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero path. And where we we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; and where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."
- Joseph Campbell, "A Hero with a Thousand Faces"

Saturday, August 20, 2011

From Maine to Florida and Back Again

Back home finally for an indeterminate amount of time. Now for myself and the one or perhaps two readers of this blog I shall backtrack the little travels I have had.

I left camp, and the beautiful state of Maine, in the afternoon of Saturday, August 13. Driving five hours brought me to the house in Rhode Island where my good friend and co-author, Lindsay, is renting a room. She is starting grad school at URI for some sort of chemistry degree. I stayed with her that night, periodically cuddling with the King Charles Spaniels, staring into their bulging, adorable eyes. Sunday morning I drove to New York state to see my best friend, Ashley. Time too-short was spent there, in the vicinity of annoying kids for a few hours until we could leave for dinner. With the freezing of my GPS, which happened earlier, I decided it would be good to stay the night in a hotel instead of driving unfamiliar roads by myself, trying to read directions and signs by unnatural light. I found out I definitely do not see as well at night in the rain. Nope, definitely not. So after the decision was made, I spent more time with Ashley (as I no longer needed to leave as early) and we went out for a drink. I am still not a drinker so mine, as usual, had to be weak - a good choice as well for I was the driver. We came back to the dorm (she works at a camp, mind you, and lives in a dorm with carpeting.. WHAT?) and I stayed there talking with her for longer than I should have. No, I rescind that statement. I stayed there just long enough, catching up even more with the type of friend I always wanted.

The next morning I drove home where I unpacked one suitcase into another while doing laundry in anticipation for the trip to Florida. The next day, or night rather, we flew out. Destination: Orlando.

The trip was magical, amazing, expensive and so worth it. I bought a few over-priced Harry Potter things. I had to stop myself from purchasing a robe and other articles to create the full affect of Hogwarts student. Though, I confess I wish I had dressed up in one and had someone take a picture. Can anyone say epic? Anyway, the mini-vacation proved to be a good getaway. Details would be too much to post here; three full days of theme parking is too much to write about for the not avid writer. Ask me about it instead.

And so I am back home. My travels are not over. On Monday I am driving back up to New York to spend the night with Ashley so we can leave for my house the next morning. I am to drive her to the airport the afternoon of Tuesday. I considered kidnapping her instead, though I do want to see her graduate college this semester.

Write back soon, somewhat. Watching Murder, She Wrote and still vegging out after returning from Florida. Now to find a job. EW!

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment