Quote

"Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero path. And where we we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; and where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."
- Joseph Campbell, "A Hero with a Thousand Faces"

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wake Me Up When September Ends

In case anyone was wondering, my new job is actually quite nice. I work as a groom/exercise rider and soon-to-be assistant to the head instructor for Hunter Farms in Princeton. It is a decent life; nothing glamorous or special or difficult about it. No big bucks but there is some contentment.

And it's contentment that makes me run away. I don't want to be here forever and I really don't want to be stuck here in laziness for longer than I should be.

This is also the first time in a long time that I am spending a sustained amount of time away from home that is relatively close to home. My past two summer jobs and college were not in close states. And now, I live less than an hour from home. Then I wonder, when will I consider my own place to be home, rather than the residence of my parents and the keeper of my childhood.

Princeton is a beautiful suburb. Yet, I cannot help but look around and think "I am still in New Jersey. Why am I here?" I love this state. Though I feel like it is too easy to get stuck here in this place of familiarity. Not that I know Princeton well. I am too close to home is all. Admittedly, I enjoy visiting my parents every week on my day off. But do I want to become complacent?

Any thoughts?

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment