Rain. Most people (rounding up I would say everyone) dislike rain for some reason. Maybe it ruins their plans, or brings on their dreary mood, or some just don't like getting wet, gosh darn it! Post-Tropical Storm Andrea has hit Florida and is marching up the coast, throwing rainclouds up in the NYC area. I sit here with the sliding glass door open, listening to the rain pour on the woods out back. A thousand little tappings on the leaves falling to the bed of pine needles below. A conversation between weather and nature. It's beautiful. I fully realize today, by way of a spontaneous smile, my love of rain.
Being in the rain is such a complete sensation. All of one's senses employed, standing, singing or dancing in the rain is a reminder of one's aliveness. Ever forget your connection to the Earth? Stand in the rain. Be surrounded by nature with the weather reaching down, kissing you everywhere. Just be yourself and know the Earth treats you like any other; just be yourself and know you are accepted.
Today I stood in the rain. Today I felt alive.
"And rain will make the flowers grow." -Eponine, Les Miserables
Quote
- Joseph Campbell, "A Hero with a Thousand Faces"
No comments:
Post a Comment