Quote

"Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero path. And where we we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; and where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."
- Joseph Campbell, "A Hero with a Thousand Faces"

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer Job

I depart tomorrow morning to drive eight hours to Maine. Why? I have been hired as a riding instructor/counselor for Camp Vega. Set on Echo Lake and surrounded by conifers, the area is picturesque. My sense of travel and adventure says "yeah let's go!" My sense of dealing with kids for lengthy periods says "I am NOT going to survive this!" Nevertheless, prevail I shall. Once August 14 rolls around I will be back in Jersey, looking forward to the next stop: vacation in Florida!

I look at these two months as being the test, a really long test, and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as the reward. Oh, how I want to be there now!

Then I am reminded all good things come in due time. One must wait. Patience is a virtue.

It sure will be at camp. It sure will be.

'Tis all for now. I do not know the extent to internet and phone capabilities at camp, so no promises to anyone as to how much I will keep in touch. Some things are out of one's control.

I hope everyone else's summers are great! And if the summer is torturous, I hope it flies by! Good luck to all. I plan on doing some good reading while I am there, if the circumstances allow.

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment